Student life can seem to revolve around alcohol, with the student bar and local pubs often the centre of the college social scene.
Drinking in moderation is an enjoyable and usually harmless feature of student life. Getting drunk regularly can have potentially serious physical, social and academic effects. Even drinking to excess just occasionally can be damaging. In the short term, drinking too much can impact on your studies because it affects concentration and makes you more likely to miss classes, hand in work late and do badly in exams.
Socialising is a major part of student life. Keep these simple steps in mind while having fun:
- Plan your night out before you go out, including how to get home.
- Stick with friends and avoid leaving parties or nights out with strangers.
- Be sensible about how much alcohol you drink – a drunk person is much more vulnerable and an easier target for criminals.
- If you leave a drink unattended then don’t go back to it.
- If you feel very drunk or unwell, ask a trusted friend or a member of the club or pub management for help.
- Look after bags and valuables. Don’t attract attention to a phone, especially if you’re under the influence of alcohol.
- Keep enough money to pay for your journey home.
- Stay alert at cash machines. Hide your PIN, be aware of who’s behind you and don’t flash your cash. Avoid using them if you’ve had too much to drink.
- Always call and book a taxi from a licensed private hire/taxi firm and make sure the vehicle pulling up is definitely your hire before you get into it.
- Where possible, avoid travelling alone.
- If walking home, keep to well-lit, busy areas and never take isolated shortcuts.
- Walk facing traffic so a car cannot pull up behind you.
- Personal attack alarms are good but don’t carry weapons or pepper sprays as this is illegal in Scotland.
- Have keys ready when you’re approaching the car or your accommodation.
- Don’t drive under the influence of drink or drugs.
- Enjoy your night out safely
- Stay with friends
- Always charge your mobile phone
- Find a licensed taxi at a designated taxi rank
- Enjoy yourself responsibly – pace yourself
- Look after one another
You can learn more at www.scotland.police.uk/keep-safe
Full guide available at – http://www.scotland.police.uk/assets/pdf/keep_safe/student-safety-guide